Monday, January 19, 2009

VOCABULARY EXERCISE UNITS 3 & 4

NORTHSTAR 2e Reading and Writing, High Intermediate
Vocabulary Exercises
Unit 3 and 4


Choose the correct answer.
1. Another word for “lawyer” is _____________.
a. accuser b. attorney c. physician

2. Another word for “medical doctor” is _____________.
a. prosecutor b. attorney c. physician

3. The state ___________________ said the Hermanson family broke the law. He took them to court.
a. physician b. practitioner c. prosecutor

4. The Hermansons had to ________________ for the murder of their daughter even though they never meant for her to die.
a. shed weight b. stand trial c. return

5. It was very hard for the Hermansons to lose their daughter. The criminal trial made them ____________ even more.
a. heal b. suffer c. feel

6. A(n) _____________ is done on a dead body when the cause of the death is not certain.
a. trail b. check-up c. autopsy

7. The Christian Scientists believe that medical _____________ can be treated with prayer.
a. ailments b. practices c. exercise

8. Alex cannot find a pair of pants big enough for him. He needs to _____________________.
a. suffer b. shed weight c. grow

9. After a long trial, the court _____________ Pamela Smart of murder. She will be in prison for many years.
a. convicted b. concentrated c. convinced

10. If you _______________, the police will probably catch you and take you to court.
a. commit a crime b. lie c. stand trial

Complete the sentences. Choose the correct answer from the words in the box.

bleakly boiling boughs dread stifling strayed
sweltering swiftly trigger utterly still


One hot evening a storm approached my house as I was in the garden. The air was _________ (1). I could hardly breathe. The heat was intense. It had been a _______ (2) day. There was no movement in the air. It was _________ (3). The _________ (4) of the trees did not move. I felt ___________ (5) grow in my heart. I knew there was nothing I could do to escape the approaching storm.
The sunlight was strangely dark. Its yellow-green light shined _________(6) on the land. The clouds began to bubble up and move like water that is ___________ (7). The storm __________ (8) moved in. I had no time to get back to the house. The wind blew sand and dirt into my mouth and eyes.
I wanted return to the shelter of the house, but I couldn’t see. I ran for several minutes,
but realized that I had run in the wrong direction. I had __________ (9) too far from the house. I survived that storm. But now the sound of a strong wind will ________ (10) my memory of that storm and I feel a sudden rush of fear come over me.

3 comments:

  1. A-)1)b 2)c 3)c 4)b 5)b 6)c 7)a 8)b 9)a 10)a
    B-)stifling, sweltiring, utterly still, boughs ,dread, boiling, bleakly, swiftly, strayed,trigger

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1b 2c 3c 4b 5b 6c 7a 8b 9a 10a
    stıfling swelterıng utterlystıll boughs dread boıling bleakly swıftly strayed trıgger

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1b 2c 3c 4b 5b 6c 7a 8b 9a 10a

    stifling swelterıng utterlystıll boughs dread boıling bleakly swıftly strayed trıgger

    ReplyDelete